Sunday, September 7, 2014

Pray without ceasing. What does that mean to you?

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the Will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 English Standard Version (ESV)

Pray without ceasing. What does that mean to you?
I take it literally. If you're awake, you should be "praying". I think I find myself talking both silently and out loud to God all day.
I just hear myself and I'm like... Oh. I was just praying again.

Does that mean I'm perfect all the time.
Yes.
Ok ok... Don't go asking my husband!!
No!! Not even close.
Am I getting better?
Yes.
I now keep my mouth shut when I quite often want to open it wide and judge someone.
I've also quit engaging in conversations where there's bad mouthing going on.
Mostly.
I'm working on it.
You know the one..

I cannot believe she did that.
Oh my word, me neither!
What a rude, insert colorful words here.

Then the conversation goes on from there.

It's hard to actually say the words, "I'm sorry but I will not be engaging in this conversation if it involves talking about another person"
So I get around it by half heartedly sticking up for the person...
"I don't know if she had a bad day or what... But I agree that that was a bad situation."
Or
"That's not my business."
(Although I DO regularly tell one person that that's not my business or, I don't want to talk bad about so and so...)
Continuously praying brings your conscience to the forefront.
You actually realize that what you're doing may be small.
What you're doing may be in line with the other party.
But what you're doing is wrong.
If you are a Born Again Christian, this is when The Spirit speaks...
Nudging you quietly.
Stop doing this. It is not edifying.

So I try.
I try hard every day.
To Pray Without Ceasing.

1 comment:

  1. I think to pray without ceasing is to always have a good heart towards other and remember that prayer can be done anytime. Such as if we hear or read about an accident a quick little prayer for the people or families will do, your child is having a hard time with a classmate, pray for your child and the other child and their parents, as well as the school that will deal with the situation etc. Prayers does not have to last for hours it can be seconds. We just have to remember to pray.

    ReplyDelete