Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Humble Pumpkin DIY #2

Oh the joy of the End-Of-The-Year Holidays!!
Yesterday I showed you how to carve a pumpkin with less mess and headache..
Today..
The innards!!!

Look at those seeds!!!
I just knew that I wanted to make pumpkin seeds. I just didn't want to do the old Salt-and-that's-it ones..
I searched the web for some sweet seeds.
Couldn't find what I wanted so I made up a recipe.
 So..
I took the seeds and made sure there wasn't any guts left on them.
I sprayed a 13x9 glass baking dish with oil and tossed them in it.
I threw them in the oven at 350 and let it preheat while they were inside.
What can I say.. I'm a rebel.
While they heated I decided on my spices.
I tossed
2 tbs of pumpkin pie spice
1 tbs of cumin
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tbs butter and
about 2 tbs water
into a stock pot.
Brought it to a boil then let it come together as a glaze.
The seeds took a while. I didn't count minutes. When they were a little brown and didn't taste "raw", I took them out.
I tossed them into the pot with the glaze and coated them.
After that I went ahead and spread them out onto a silicone baking mat to dry.
That was it!
These were perfect for our taste because we don't use much salt in our food. If you're wanting a little sweet/salty combo.. Toss some sea salt in the pot while you're mixing stuff around.
These didn't last long enough to put them into a pretty jar.
My bad ;)

Stay tuned tomorrow for another Humble Pumpkin DIY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment